Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


My second-born turned eight last week. This girl brings a lot of spunk to my life. She loves to bake with me. She has her own set of wire whisks and is in possession of an impressive cookbook collection (four cookbooks is impressive for an eight year old).

For her birthday this year, she had some friends over for fun and games. They made their own pizzas and decorated cupcakes. (The cupcakes pictured were decorated by me and the cyclist. When the girls decorate, the emphasis is less on aesthetics...and more on sheer frosting volume.)

Recipe from I Like You;
hospitality under the influence by Amy Sedaris

Cupcakes
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 t vanilla
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups milk

Line 24 standard size muffin cups with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat butter and sugar in bowl of mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add baking powder, salt, flour and milk. Mix until well combined. Pour evenly into muffin pan (about 2/3 full). Bake 20 minutes or until lightly golden.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

One box of powdered sugar (3 1/2 - 4 cups)
1/2 cup softened, unsalted butter
1 t vanilla
1/4 cup milk or cream
Food coloring (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.

Happy Birthday Wee-Ah!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Happy birthday Larry! We love you!!

These cupcakes look divine. I might have to make them for G$'s bday!

Baking Addict said...

Happy belated birthday to your daughter, she's gorgeous. Love the cupcakes and beautifully coloured frosting.
PS really love your blog :)

Jacqui said...

We have a Wee-ah at our house, too! Do you find these homemade cupcakes better than a mix? May sound like a dumb question, but the times I've made homemade cakes (that aren't heavier cakes like carrot or raisin walnut, etc.) I haven't been terribly impressed. They seem about the same consistency of a box, albeit with a little better flavor. What do you think?

Moonpie primitives said...

Hi: the kids and I are stuck in side today because of the tons of rain that is falling. So I thought we would make your cupcakes. Wish us luck. Happy, Happy Birthday to the cutest girl I have ever seen!!! Love your blog, Nancy

Megan said...

Heather,
Gracie would love these.

Baking Addict,
Thank you for the sweet comment!

Jacqui,
I agree. A lot of boxed cake mixes are pretty good and make a light, fluffy cupcake. I love these though. The vanilla flavor is perfect and they aren't much more work than a cake mix! (Don't you have to beat a cake mix for 5 minutes or so?) Plus, all of the ingredients in homemade cupcakes are recognizable.

Nancy,
We are getting HAILED on today! Enjoy the cupcakes!

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

What a eautiful girl! Don't you love having a baking buddy?! My Aliyah loves to cook to, and I love it! I am a cupcake fanatic, so I know I would love these!