Strawberry-Orange Muffins (Times Two)


"Bake Sale" Strawberry Muffin (split), Cooking Light Strawberry-Orange Muffin (still whole)

We had a bit of a muffin showdown at my house this morning. I wish I could say there was a clear winner, but both fought a good fight.

I was curious to see if there was a difference in a "light" muffin versus a "bake sale" muffin. I think the added sugar in the light muffin made up for the shortage of butter because both were soft, flavorful and delicious.
I added orange zest to the bake sale muffin so that the flavor profiles would be the same when we judged. Omit it if you wish...but I must say, the zest made them taste like morning.

Strawberry Muffins

Adapted from America's Favorites: Bake Sale


1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 t vanilla
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
Finely grated zest of one orange

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 12 standard muffin pan cups or line with paper liners. Set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in oats and sugar. Combine milk, butter, egg and vanilla in a small bowl until well blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in the strawberries and orange zest. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Serve.

Strawberry-Orange Muffins
Recipe from Cooking Light Magazine

1 1/4 cups halved strawberries
3 T butter, melted
2 t finely grated orange zest
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 t sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine the strawberries, butter, zest and eggs in a blender and process just until mixture is blended.
Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Add strawberry mixture and stir just until mixture is moist. Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle muffin batter evenly with 2 teaspoons sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pan immediately.

P.S. The cyclist preferred the Cooking Light Muffin. I liked the Bake Sale Muffin. I'm a sucker for oats in baked goods. Go ahead, try them both. Let me know which one you like.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I tried the muffin recipe with the oatmeal in them, and the family loved them! I posted them on my blog today with a link back to you!
http://songberries.blogspot.com/2010/05/strawberry-muffins.html
I'm making the second recipe and I was wondering if there is suppose to be milk in it?

Megan said...

Carol,
No milk. I know, it looks like there are not enough liquid ingredients, but the pureed strawberries (with the egg and butter) are all it needs! Thanks for the link!