Torta Strata


This is a great appetizer. The flavors are delicious and it looks impressive.

The colors are perfect for a holiday gathering!

I clipped the recipe from from a magazine ten years ago or so (I want to say it was an In-Style magazine). Every time I make it, someone requests the recipe.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz goat cheese
1/2 cup prepared sun-dried tomato paste (I find this in the Italian section of my local supermarket)
1/3 cup prepared pesto (I like Buitoni, find it in the refrigerated section)
1 T garlic paste
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and goat cheese with electric mixer until smooth.
Evenly divide mixture into three bowls. Add sun-dried tomato paste to one bowl, pesto to the next, and garlic paste to the last bowl. Stir each to combine. Season all three with salt and pepper to taste.
Line a 3-cup straight sided mold (I've used a small spring form pan, a small cereal bowl, ...for this one, I just used a small round gladware container) with dampened cheesecloth, draping excess over rim. Spoon sun-dried tomato mixture into bottom of mold and smooth with spatula. Next add garlic mixture. Smooth with a spatula. Cover garlic mixture with pesto mixture. Press down and smooth the top.
Fold cheesecloth over the top and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour. It can be made a couple days ahead of time and stored well covered in the refrigerator.

To serve, invert mold onto platter and remove cheesecloth.
Enjoy with crackers.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! This would be a perfect appetizer for thanksgiving!

Amari said...

This looks wonderful and doesn't look like it takes much time at all to make. I'll have to try this for guests this Thanksgiving. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it doesn't seem as difficult as it looks! Such a beautiful appetizer!

Baking Addict said...

What a lovely idea. Looks divine!

Lauren said...

This could not have come at a better time! I'll be making this for a get-together this coming weekend :).

Joanne said...

This would make for a PERFECT appetizer! So festive!

Josie said...

so pretty!

Erin Gilbert said...

This is one of my favorites! I was surprised at how easy it is to make.

Unknown said...

What kind of cheese would you recommend to substitute for goat cheese?

Megan said...

Anna,
If you don't want to use goat cheese, swap it for an additional 8 oz of cream cheese. The goat cheese adds a great, tangy quality, but I think it would be tasty with cream cheese alone.

Katie said...

I've not heard of this before but it looks delicous

e.brooke said...

I may have to start milking my goats for this one!