Fresh Apple Cake with Warm Vanilla Sauce


The weather here has finally cooled down. I'm in the mood for some good old fashioned autumn baking. This moist, cinnamony-apple cake tastes delicious...and will make your house smell divine!

Fresh Apple Cake
adapted from Peacocks on my Porch

1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp soda
3 cups shredded apples (I prefer granny smith)

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9-x-13 inch pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, cream shortening, sugar and eggs. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and soda. Add to creamed mixture along with the apples. Beat until combined.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Warm Vanilla Sauce
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over individual cake slices.

13 comments:

fatguyonalittlebike said...

Remember when you brought home a whole pan of these, so i took one out and took a picture of it for your blog, then I woke up the next morning and wanted some for breakfast but you gave the rest of the pan to your crippled brother. That was not awesome.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

YUM! This sounds SO good! Can't wait to try them myself!

Joanne said...

I am so ready to make my kitchen smell like fall. I think it's time to get baking!

That vanilla sauce sounds divine.

e.brooke said...

Amen to this cinnamon fall. Your blog seems to be my current new addiction.
Plus, I have a whole box of needy apples staring me down.

Unknown said...

THis vanilla sauce is calling my name

Katie said...

Looks delicious. Apple and cinnamon are some of my all time favourite flavours

Unknown said...

What a fantastic apple desert. I have 3 apple trees in my back yard and loads of apples this year, so I am looking for some great ideas. Thanks for sharing this one.
*kisses* HH

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for apple recipes, (too many on the tree) so thank you! This will be perfect!

Lisa said...

I love apple cake but I'd definitely want to try it with that vanilla sauce.

FabFrugalFood said...

Apple desserts are so comforting in the fall. Your cake looks amazing, and a bonus - warm vanilla sauce - wow.

Tasty Retreat said...

You had me at "warm vanilla sauce!" Yumyumyum.

Alisha Joy said...

These are so delicious!!! A great change from apple pie. YUMMY!!!

Jami said...

I just posted a similar recipe. I gave you a shout out and a link. I am looking forward to trying the glaze you use. Sounds great!