Giant Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


I love Oatmeal Raisin cookies.
These are not soft, cake-like cookies.
These are big (like 6 to a cookie sheet big), flat, and CHEWY. The edges are almost crisp-caramelly.
Don't be alarmed when you remove them from the oven. They spread quite a bit.

Delicious warm with a cold glass of milk.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
from The Silver Palate Cookbook

12 T unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 T water
1 t vanilla
2/3 cup unbleached flour
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.

Cream butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add egg and beat thoroughly. Mix in water and vanilla.
Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and soda; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add oats and raisins and mix.
Form cookies (I used a LARGE scoop...golf ball size) six to a sheet. Bake for 14-17 minutes, until edges are done but centers are still soft. Remove to a rack and cool.
Makes about 18 large cookies.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Those look yummy--minus the raisins of course!! Hey will you ever post your white chocolate popcorn recipe? I keep forgetting to ask for it.

Greg said...

I found your blog from Ashley's and have to say I was a little too excited when I discovered that your first cook book was the BHG Cookies for Kids from your grandparents because I got the SAME ONE from my grandparents when I was the same age :) I make "eating play doh" (page 47)for my kids all the time...I also just made the cyclops cookies on Saturday...what a small world.

Jacqui said...

Megan, how do you stay thin baking all this yummy stuff? I so much as smell cookie dough and I gain a 5 lb. tire around my waist. Life isn't fair.

Or maybe life isn't fair for those who don't run. haha!

Erin Bradley said...

I just made these but with chocolate chips and I am in love. Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Jill Lorraine said...

Thank you! I remember this recipe from the book decades ago and have been looking everywhere. This is THE ONE.