Penne with Asparagus and Pecorino Cheese

I love everything about spring. I love hearing the birds during my morning run. I love seeing the crocus peeking out of the flower beds at my front door. I love not having to bundle up four kids before we can go anywhere.

I love cooking with good, fresh asparagus. It's so nice to watch my girls willingly gobble up a green vegetable!

This pasta dish was universally LOVED at our house. The combination of the zesty lemon, the salty cheese, the garlic and the crisp tender asparagus...so tasty. This will definitely be made again and again.



Penne with Asparagus and Pecorino Cheese
adapted from Cooking Light magazine

Serves 4

8 oz uncooked penne pasta
1 T kosher salt
2 T olive oil
1 lb asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup vegetable broth
1 T grated lemon rind
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino romano cheese
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 T shaved fresh pecorino romano cheese

Cook pasta in boiling water with 1 T kosher salt according to package directions. Drain.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan, swirling to coat. Add asparagus to pan; cook until crisp-tender (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove asparagus from pan; keep warm. Add broth, lemon rind, and garlic to pan; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 6 minutes). Return asparagus to pan. Add pasta, grated cheese, salt and pepper; toss well. Serve topped with shaved cheese.

6 comments:

Miss Miranda said...

Oh my goodness...that sounds divine! I just might have to try this. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Great meal! can't wait to try it.

Michelle said...

Oh that looks delicious..perfect meal for spring..

Joanne said...

Asparagus is for sure my favorite spring veggie and I was so happy when I saw it on sale this week! I'm glad I bought extra so I can give this a try!

Anonymous said...

i love pasta and everything about it. I love spring and everything about it. this dish is a perfect spring dish. I think i will make it tomorrow :)
www.sunshineandsmile.com

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! I'm making it tonight!