Un-Fried French Fries

As I've mentioned, we try to eat healthy meals around here so that we can justify the indulgent treats. This is one of our favorite ways to eat something that tastes fattening, but isn't.

Un-Fried French Fries

adapted from In The Kitchen with Rosie
5 large baking potatoes (about 2 3/4 pounds total)
cooking spray
2 large egg whites
1 T Cajun seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Slice each potato length-wise into quarter-inch by quarter-inch fries (I have an attachment to my apple slicer that makes perfectly shaped fries).
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
Combine egg whites and Cajuns seasoning in a bowl. Add the potato sticks and toss to coat. Pour the coated potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and spread them out into a single layer (I always make too many, so they are overlapping quite a bit).
Place the baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until fries are crispy, turning them every 8-10 minutes with a spatula so they crisp evenly.
Serve immediately.

Being from Utah, we like to serve these with "fry sauce". A simple version consists of equal parts mayonnaise (I use low fat) and ketchup. You can add a little pickle juice or relish. Sometimes we kick it up a notch with barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, chipotle powder or hot pepper sauce.

18 comments:

Char said...

I was looking for something just like this as a no-fry version, sounds amazing! And I LOVE mayo + ketchup!

Unknown said...

Never done the mayo and ketchup thing with fries! But these fries are making me hungry-- they look delicious!

Zoe said...

by the look of your photo, I can believe that the fries are not fried! They are perfect. Got to try your cooking method.

Joanne said...

I love that you put cajun seasoning on these! They must taste like curly fries. Yum.

Kristen - Dine & Dish said...

Fries are so hard to photograph, but you nailed it. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

It's breakfast time and I'm craving these!

Fernando said...

Never thought of using the egg whites as a way to make them crispy. I usually sprinkle with a tad bit of baking powder as that helps them get crispy.

Jess Roy said...

These look YUM! I never thought to use egg whites...

Cookie Sleuth said...

Using the egg whites is a great idea! I have never heard of this... Thanks for the tip!

Jana H. said...

Looks delicious. I have never used cajun seasoning before. Would you saw it's way spicy hot or like a previous poster said, like curly fries?

Megan said...

Jana-
I would call these "zesty". Not spicy. My two year old gobbles them right up.

Debra said...

Megan, your "Un-Fried French Fries" look delicious. What a great idea.

Kelli said...

I too LOVE baked fries, but I've never tried using egg whites. Now I'm real curious...

C said...

I tried making these but had a few questions along the way. Do you whip or beat the egg whites at all? Also, do you drain off the excess before putting them on the baking sheet? Thanks!

Megan said...

C--
I lightly beat the whites with a fork, just enough to stir
In the seasoning.
I don't drain off the excess, just make sure to toss them well several times during baking. That should evenly distribute the egg whites and seasonings.
Hope this helps.
-Megan

Christina said...

These look so good. I miss Utah fry sauce!

Unknown said...

Hi Megan! The fries looks delicious! Simple and easy to do. Perfect for a Illinois Basset student like me. Thanks again for a really wonderful recipe! BTW the dip is mayo+ketchup right? As far as I know mayos are fattening.

Megan said...

Haley,
Since these are a healthy treat, I always use reduced fat mayo in the dip, or serve them with straight ketchup. They actually have enough flavor to eat with no dip at all!
I hope you try them and enjoy!
-megan