Banana Bars



I buy bananas every week, which means that I regularly have brown bananas. I love the idea of eating fresh bananas. We usually go through 4 or 5 that first day. My problem is once they are even the slightest bit over-ripe, they are far too mushy for me...so they sit on the counter for a week, then I start to get a craving for banana bread. Subconsciously, that must be why I buy the bananas in the first place.

We took a break from the usual banana bread to try these little bars. The sour cream makes them so tasty. And cream cheese frosting...what doesn't taste better with a schmear of cream cheese frosting?

These delicious banana bars come from Lindsey of Cinnamon Syrup fame. I've tried many of her recipes...she has a knack for picking good ones.



Ingredients:

1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
1 c sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 med ripe bananas (1 cup)

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 c butter, soft
2 tsp. vanilla
4 c powdered sugar


Directions:
Cream sugar, butter and eggs. Add sour cream and vanilla. Combine and add dry ingredients. Mash then stir in bananas. Bake at 350 for 20- 25 minutes in a jelly roll pan.
Let cool completely before frosting.

10 comments:

SLCFoodie said...

I just happen to have a few ripe bananas sitting on my counter waiting to be made into something delicious such as this :)

Joanne said...

I'm super picky about my bananas. I basically like them almost green. I'm weird that way. My roommate and I have a plastic container in the freezer and into it the bananas go once they get brown. Then, when the container is full - it's banana bread time! Next I'm gonna make these bars though. Love cream cheese frosting.

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

I always havae overripe bananas too! :) Another photo to make everyone drool over! :)

e.brooke said...

Once upon a time my sister made me a whole pan of these babies and that was a very good day.

Cookie Sleuth said...

I tried a banana cupcake recipe with sour cream for the first time a few weeks ago, and I really love how moist it makes everything. I save my brown banana for pudding and banana peanut butter smoothies! :)

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

Thank you for reminding me of this recipe. I had some cream cheese frosting begging for something to be slathered upon in the fridge. They are in the oven right now.

While I have a knack for choosing yummy things, the actual baking of them is touch and go.

Christy's said...

Just made this cake and it is so yummy. The icing is so good. I usually make muffins with my brown bananas, but I will be making this cake again forsure!

claire said...

I have tons of brown bananas and was just thinking about what to make with them!

great idea... love your blog and photography! any tips?

Megan @ Confessions of a Bake-aholic said...

Thanks Christy.

My husband is my photographer. We are currently working on a blog post that will focus on food styling and photography tips.

Stay tuned!

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Mmmm, I love anything with banana, this looks great :)!