O'Henry Bars

These are my version of Scotch-eroos. They have been a summer picnic staple for many years. I've tweaked the recipe a bit from the standard. I like the flavor a little simpler, so I omit the "scootch". I've also reduced the amount of rice krispies, as I like mine gooey.

This recipe makes enough to fill a jelly-roll pan. It may seem like a lot, but they go fast. Any you don't eat right away can be frozen for a couple of weeks. Make sure you cut them into individual bars before you freeze them. When you're craving a PB and chocolate fix, just take one out of the freezer and set it on the counter for 5 or 10 minutes. Enjoy.

2 C sugar
2 C corn syrup (Karo)
2 C creamy peanut butter
11 C rice krispies
2 bags chocolate chips

Pour cereal into a LARGE bowl. Set aside.
Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until it melts. Pour over cereal and stir to coat. Press into a greased jelly roll pan (rimmed cookie sheet).
Melt chocolate chips in microwave or over double boiler and spread evenly over bars. You may need to refrigerate them to get the chocolate to set, but bring back to room temperature before you cut them.

3 comments:

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

mmmmmm...peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven!

Katie said...

whoa! these look so good! i am totally making these... soon!

ificould said...

I love this recipe so much, I posted a link on my blog: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2010/04/ohenry-bars.html

Thanks for the great recipes!!
Missy